Saturday, June 14, 2014








C-E-R 8 & 9

Create:

Here is my concept map on my learning strategies and how I learn. Please click on the link to find out more.









Evaluate:

Making a peanut and butter and jelly sandwich seems rather easy, but this is how a child would say it. As we know there are more steps to this process. I have done this exercise with my 5th graders in a presentational speaking class. On how to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, this is what they would tell me. So, I did just that and they were surprised at what the outcome was. A loaf of bread with the jar of peanut butter and jelly on top of it.

*Get the bread.
*Put the peanut butter on top of the bread
*Take the jelly and put it on top of the peanut butter.

As we know there are several more steps to making a pbj sandwich. Here is what you need:
a. Peanut butter
b. Jelly or Jam
c. Bread - 2 slices
d. Knife

1. Spread the peanut butter evenly on one slice of bread using a knife.
2. Spread jelly or jam evenly on the other slice of the bread.
3. Press the two slices of bread together.
4. Cut your sandwich in half.
5. Enjoy your sandwich.

Relate:

The first place I wanted to visit was the Exploritorium in California. Once inside, you could see that everything was hands on which is one of the ways in which I learn. Live image of the sun, small habitats, bugs under a mircroscope. Many interactive ways for children to explore their environment. Loved the sense of wonder and how you walk away asking questions and curious about things. The sound tunnel was cool and reminded me of Grand Central Station in NYC. There are 4 places that you can speak into a wall and hear what is said on the other side. Very cool, kind of like a telephone. I showed this to my children when they were younger and they never forgot. Every time we are there, that is one of the highlights that they remember to go and see.


With the buoy that was from NOAH and placed in the ocean next to the Exploritorium, it will measure the acidity in the ocean and send the data to NOAH. It is very important for the public to know where the data is coming from. This is one very exciting, hands on place where you can easily spend the day at.

I know that our Montessori materials are very hands on and that really helps the students to learn. These concrete materials are designed specifically for the child with certain points of interest for their learning. Having these tools available to the children will help them transition from the concrete to the abstract as they mature.

By applying the brain based principles, the teacher is then able to reach the visual, auditory and kinisthetic learners. If we break up the information we are giving our children "chunks" of information at a minimum of time. This could be done in 10 minute intervals.

I will try to be aware of my student's abilities and short comings. By observing on a daily basis I will be able to "follow the child" to see what skills they have and what they are lacking. If they need to be challenged more or should I present the lesson in a different way so that they understand better? I want them to feel confident and have high self efficacy. This will make them successful and life long learners.





No comments:

Post a Comment