Saturday, June 14, 2014



                                                            Chapter 9 Reflection



I enjoyed reading Chapter nine and learning about problem solving and teaching strategies. By teaching a few strategies at a time and modeling new strategies is important. The one strategy that jumped out at me was "if the student did not understand the strategy, explain in a way that they can understand." I think this is very beneficial with all students. I know that this type of strategy is beneficial for myself.

I see may students with learning disabilities who do appear lost when new content is taught and even if they are asked to retrieve information, they may not appear to understand the question. I see this especially with ESL children. When they do not have command of their first language, English can be tricky to comprehend.

I find that I will ask others to repeat the question for me in a way that I can understand it. Sometimes it just doesn't make sense and I can't wrap my head around the question. I know that this is true for so many and if we present the information in a different way (differentiate) then everyone will get the information and hopefully it will alleviate the confusion. If not, I can usually tell who did not understand it and I will bring them into a small group. I sometimes use myself as an example with not always understanding the content. I feel when we make the situation "real" children don't feel so alone and know that this does happen to others.

They do enjoy my college stories and I want them to know that they can achieve anything that they set their mind too, regardless of how difficult it may seem at the time.






No comments:

Post a Comment