Sunday, June 22, 2014

June 20, 2014

Podcast #7

Self Esteem

In this podcast Anita spoke to us about the difference between self esteem and self efficacy.
She began with speaking about "selves" in psychology. We hear many words with the word "self" in it. Self reflection, self starter, self-absorbed, self centered and self confident. I found it very interesting that 35 years ago there was 1 in 20 articles in psychology that were related to self. Today there is 1 in 7 articles related to one's self.

She spoke about self concept and its meaning. Self concept is the knowledge and belief you have about yourself. Self Efficacy is a personal evaluation of yourself. If you are feeling good, proud, happy about yourself. This is how you feel about successes and failures. Low self efficacy is seen in low achievement in school. With self efficacy you have confidence in your own abilities to do your own things. Mainly something specific in the future. This affects the choices you make in college and the effort you put forth.

I know that I have high self efficacy as I work towards my goal in college. I know that if I work hard and try my best that there is light at the end of the tunnel. I am mainly doing this for myself and it is a good feeling.



No comments:

Post a Comment