Sunday, June 1, 2014

May 22, 2014



I presented a power point on the Russian Theorist, Lev Vygotsky in my Child Development class. Below the word cloud represents some of his many wonderful ideas that I learned from him. I enjoyed reading about him in Chapter two.

Vygotsky believed that the child follows the adult example and will gradually develop the ability to complete certain tasks without adult assistance. This was evident with the example of the young child trying to put different shapes into their respective holes in a a shapes toy. Eventually the child grasped the concept and she was able to complete the task alone. Vygotsky referred to this as an example of "interaction influencing the cognitive development of a child." 

Zone of Proximal Development (ZPD) by definition is: "the distance between the actual development level as determined by independent problem solving and the level of potential development as determined through problem solving under adult guidance, or in collaboration with more capable peers." 

The young child referred to in the earlier paragraph, knew where the shapes belonged (through her actual development.) She could not figure out how to put them in the shapes. What the child can do with assistance and what he/she can do without guidance is Vygotsky's ZPD in a nutshell.

I also learned that scaffolding was support for learning and problem solving. The support could come in the form of clues, reminders and encouragement. Modifications to help the student grow in independence as a learner. 

Most importantly, Vygotsky believed that learning takes place when children play.

Vygotsky died in 1934 and I felt that he had so much unfinished work. My question that I

pondered and posed to my classmates was "Why haven't we heard as much about Vygotsky 

as we have Piaget?" I enjoyed the interaction and discussion that we had after the 

presentation.

I thoroughly enjoyed learning, presenting and listening to the feedback of my classmates.



Theory   CulturalReasoningInnerPrivateProblemPsychologySpeechSocioculturalSocialZPDSolvingProximalScaffoldingPsychologicalCognitiveZoneEducationDevelopmentTools

No comments:

Post a Comment